On the first day of Christmas, your favourite lawyer gave to you 12 reasons to get a Will and POA:
- It’s never been easier: During the pandemic, Wills can even be witnessed online.
- Take control: You decide who gets your property…and who doesn’t! Otherwise, it’s essentially the government who decides, via Ontario’s Succession Law Reform Act.
- It saves unnecessary heartache: Your surviving family and friends will have enough to worry about without the hassle of guessing at what you would have wanted to happen to your assets.
- Save money: A lawyer can help you avoid unnecessary probate fees and minimize the tax burden on your estate.
- Make a donation: Friends and family don’t have to be your only beneficiaries. Leave a legacy by donating to your favourite charity or other good causes.
- It’s not as expensive as you think: Wills and POAs are some of the best value legal documents around. Plus, at Lardeo Law, we’ll review your existing Will at no extra cost.
- Blended families: Second or third marriages make for complicated family dynamics, but a Will can help let them know where they stand.
- Reduce the chance of a legal dispute: There are fewer bigger wastes of time, effort and money than estate litigation, but a Will can cut out much of the uncertainty that causes beneficiaries to clash.
- Get your digital life in order: More and more of our lives are lived online, but many people forget that when it comes to estate planning. Not at Laredo Law, where we take clients through a digital asset checklist to make sure everything is accounted for.
- Decide your executor: A lawyer can help you select the best person for the crucial job of administering your estate.
- Major life events: Landmark moments like marriage, divorce, the birth of a child or a major change in net worth may change your priorities, meaning they’re the perfect time to make or update your Will.
- Provide for your pets: Your furry family members will thank you for setting them up with a new home in case the worst happens.
- In case you did not get to your Will/POAs during Christmas, make this a New Year’s Resolution.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM YOUR TEAM AT LAREDO LAW
Disclaimer: The content on this website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal or other professional advice or an opinion of any kind. Users of this website are advised to seek specific legal advice by contacting members of Laredo Law (or their own legal counsel) regarding any specific legal issues.
Please note: In supporting my colleagues, I’d like to pass along the below opportunities.
A timeless, priceless gift to give this year, Share Your Story Inc. is on a mission to preserve family stories. I find their approach to be a great way to capture memories. I wanted to share the info with you guys in case you’re looking for a special gift for a special person. To see how it works visit this link.
You can still save 20% on holiday cards this year! Sending out real cards in these digital times, while supporting Make-A-Wish, will help strengthen relationships with clients and colleagues. Simply go to charitycards.ca, find the perfect cards and enter “BNI20”.
Jacob Manishevitz is a mortgage agent with iBridge Capital. His brokerage donates to several charities that range from providing drinkable water to people in need in developing countries; and supporting important organizations by way of activity-based fundraising. If you are looking for worthwhile causes and want to jump on board, please reach out to Jacob.
(416) 768-4789 | yourmortgagematchmaker.ca | LinkedIn | Facebook | Instagram